Mainers are accustomed to tough winter conditions. Unfortunately, however, many are injured each year when they slip or trip and fall unexpectedly.
Slip and fall accidents - also known as "premises liability" - often occur on property owned or maintained by someone else. There are many dangerous conditions that can lead to an unforeseen injury, including an icy driveway or cracked walkway, torn carpeting or changes in flooring, poor lighting or wet floors, narrow staircases or lack of a railing, and other unsafe situations.
Knowing what to do following an accident will not only help you recover from your injuries, but also prepare you to file a personal injury claim.
1) SEEK MEDICAL ATTENTION - your health should be top priority. It's also important to document your injuries as medical records will be important pieces of evidence.
2) REPORT THE ACCIDENT - no matter where the fall occurred, make sure you report it to a manager, owner, or landlord. Get the details of the incident in writing and request a copy before you leave.
3) DOCUMENT EVERYTHING - take photos of the exact location where you fell including any conditions that contributed to the accident. Be sure to gather names, addresses, and phone numbers for all potential witnesses. Also, place the shoes and clothing you were wearing during the accident in a safe storage place. They may be important pieces of evidence later.
4) DECLINE TO GIVE STATEMENTS - remain calm and limit your communication with the property owner or manager. Do not post any details related to your accident on social media. Decline to give a statement to an insurance company until you've spoken to an attorney.
5) SPEAK WITH A PERSONAL INJURY ATTORNEY - when considering legal action, the best person is an experienced attorney. Since slip and fall cases are complex and difficult to prove, you are best served by the experience and resources of a successful law firm.
The Law Offices of Joe Bornstein has been fighting and winning for injured Mainers since 1974. If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident, get the help you need and the justice you deserve.
Maine lawyers working for Maine people since 1974.