Sanford Disability Attorney

If you suffered a disabling condition in Sanford or anywhere in York County, you may feel overwhelmed and confused about what to do next. Your disability may be a long-term or permanent condition that will change so many aspects of your life.

The Law Offices of Joe Bornstein helps disabled individuals in Sanford and throughout Maine find solutions. You may be entitled to benefits through Social Security Disability Insurance. SSDI provides benefits for people who have worked a certain amount of time and paid into the Social Security system.

Questions and answers from our disability attorneys

What is long-term disability insurance coverage?

You can purchase an insurance policy to protect you if you become disabled. A long-term disability insurance policy sometimes is offered as part of an employer's benefits package. If you are disabled and cannot work for an extended period of time, this policy will replace some of your income.

Back to Top

Can I receive Social Security disability and long-term disability coverage at the same time?

If you are collecting long-term disability coverage, the insurance carrier may require you to apply for Social Security disability benefits. If you are approved, your long-term disability payment likely will be reduced by the amount of SSDI payments you receive. This is called an offset.

Back to Top

Why are Social Security Disability claims denied?

The Social Security Administration may deny your claim for benefits for any number of reasons. You may earn too much income. In other cases, the SSA may argue your disability either isn't severe or that you will recover quickly. And in some case, the claim may be rejected because the applicant hasn't provided adequate documentation. Statistics show that most applications are rejected. Disabled people often work with attorneys to help obtain a result through the appeals process.

Back to Top

I'm a disabled veteran. What kind of benefits are available?

Veterans disability benefits are available to military veterans whose condition is due to an incident that occurred while on active duty in the Armed Forces. Veterans apply for benefits through the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.

Back to Top

Send Article envelop

Sender Email*:
Recipient Email*: