Frequently Asked Questions about Veterans Disability Benefits

Veterans Disability Benefit FAQ - Call Joe for More Information

Many veterans are eligible for benefits based on their military service. The application process for veterans disability benefits, however, can be long and complicated. The Law Offices of Joe Bornstein is ready to help. We know you may be feeling stress and frustration. Let us shoulder the burden for you. We can connect you with an experienced veterans disability benefits lawyer. Our law firm serves clients with disabilities and medical conditions throughout Maine.

If you are appealing a denied benefits claim with the Veterans Administration, an experienced attorney can help in so many ways. We understand you may have questions about what we can do to help veterans disability benefit applicants. The following are commonly asked questions about veterans disability claims. If you do not see your question below, contact us today at 1-866-275-4563.

How do I know if I'm eligible for benefits?

To meet eligibility requirements, you must have been on active service at the time your injuries or illness developed and you must have received a discharge under conditions other than dishonorable. Active service includes full-time service in the United States Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force or Coast Guard, service in the Reserve or National Guard when service is activated, and cadets at the U.S. Military, Air Force, Coast Guard or Naval Academy. Qualifying discharges include honorable discharges, discharges under honorable conditions and general discharges.

(Return to Top)

What types of veterans disability benefits are available in Maine?

  • Service-connected disability compensation - Monthly cash benefits payable to veterans who sustained injuries or illness during service that caused a disability or aggravated an existing disability.
  • VA Pension - Monthly cash benefits available to veterans with low income or assets, who served at least 90 days of service including at least one day of service during wartime, and either sustained a total or permanent disability or is over age 65.
  • Concurrent Retirement and Disability Payments (CRDP)­ - Benefits available to veterans serving 20 or more years and sustained a service-connected disability rated 50 percent or more.
  • Combat-Connected Special Compensation - Benefits available to military retirees who completed 20 years of service and sustained a combat-connected disability rating that's 10 percent or higher.
  • VA Health Care and Nursing Home Care - Medical and long-term care benefits available to qualifying veterans.

(Return to Top)

My appeal was denied. Can an attorney help me file an appeal?

Yes. Depending on the circumstances of your case, an attorney can file a Notice of Disagreement (NOD), request a re-review by the Regional Officer, or appeal a claim to the Board of Veteran Appeals. In some instances, an appeal may be filed with the Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims or qualify for Federal Circuit Court review.

(Return to Top)

How much does a veterans disability lawyer cost in Maine?

The Law Offices of Joe Bornstein does not require any upfront payment from the veteran. Attorney fees on Veterans Disability claims are only paid if the veteran is successful in recovering back benefits from the Veterans Administration. There is no legal fee for future monthly benefits awarded.

(Return to Top)

Send Article envelop

Sender Email*:
Recipient Email*: