Lewiston Disability Attorney

In Lewiston, Maine, you may suddenly face a serious disability and be unable to work for a living and collect a paycheck. Or you may have little to no assets and no income, but a disability has sidelined you. In either case, you may be entitled to receive disability benefits from the government. However, it can be a difficult ordeal. You may not know where to begin or what to do if your claim is denied.

Lewiston disability attorneys at the Law Offices of Joe Bornstein have put together a list of questions to help you get started. If you need help right away, call us at our Lewiston office or stop by. We are located at 157 Main Street, Lewiston, ME 04240. Your consultation is always free. We enjoy talking to disabled people about their rights and options.

FAQs for those who are disabled in Lewiston

Back to Top

Should I file a workers' compensation claim or a disability claim?

You may be eligible for both workers' comp (through your employer) and Social Security disability, a program administered by the federal government. If you were disabled in a work accident, you likely were entitled to workers' compensation. But if those benefits run out, you may be entitled to disability benefits. We recommend that you file for disability as soon as possible, even if you are receiving workers' comp. By taking swift action, you can avoid a possible gap in payments.

Back to Top

Where does the money for my benefits come from?

Workers and employers pay a tax that goes into the Disability Insurance Trust Fund. The federal government uses these funds to pay benefits to people.

Back to Top

Send Article envelop

Sender Email*:
Recipient Email*: